Foreign Languages - Key Stage 4

FROM SEPTEMBER 2015 STUDENTS STARTING GCSE IN FRENCH, SPANISH AND GERMAN WILL BE FOLLOWING THE EDEXCEL IGCSE COURSES

 

 1

2

3

 4

 

 


 

 

Students in Years 10 and 11 follow the Edexcel course specification for French, Spanish and German. 60% of the examination is completed throughout the course during controlled assessments of the speaking and writing elements of the course requirements and is internally conducted, although only the speaking is internally assessed. The remaining 40% of the examination is externally conducted at the end of Year 11 and assesses the listening and reading elements of the course.

RESOURCES

KS4 French, German and Spanish use the textbooks published for this specific board

Edexcel GCSE Spanish

Edexcel GCSE German

Edexcel GCSE French

for more information about these resources, please go to www.heinemann.co.uk

 

GCSE Arabic (Edexcel)

We follow the Edexcel GCSE specification for Arabic. This course does not have controlled assessments. In this course students will develop Arabic language skills related to the two GCSE themes of ‘Media, Travel and Culture’ and ‘Sport, Leisure and Work’.

Students will be encouraged to review and consolidate their work on a regular basis. Arabic is not difficult but it requires a disciplined approach to the learning process.

GCSE ARABIC ASSESSMENT- END OF YEAR 11

SPEAKING: (March – April) 27%

In the speaking test the student will carry out two activities:

1-               A conversation about a photograph you have brought in of personal interest OR a presentation on something that interests you followed by questions about it from your teacher.

2-             A conversation with your teacher linked to a different theme. (Chosen theme)

The whole test lasts maximum 10 minutes

 

WRITING: (June) 27%

The student will have a choice of questions relating to two themes. The student will produce two pieces of writing, ranging from a short task to an article for a magazine, web page, blog or letter.

First writing 30 words. Second writing between 70 and 120 words. Timing: 60 minutes. Marks: 50.

READING: (June) 23%

You will read and answer questions about a range of short texts. The texts will be both formal and informal (advertisement or e-mail).

Content relates to prescribed common topic areas. Timing: 55 minutes. Marks: 50

LISTENING: (June)  23%

You will listen to, and answer questions on a range of recorded material relating to set topic areas. You will hear formal speech (telephone message and informal speech (conversation between friends)

Content relates to prescribed common topic areas. Timing: 45 minutes 5 minutes reading time. Marks: 50

KEY SUBJECT AIMS

The Edexcel GCSE in Arabic qualification requires students to:

• develop the ability to listen to and understand spoken Arabic in a range of contexts and a variety of styles

• communicate in speech for a variety of purposes

• read and respond to different types of written language

• communicate in writing for a variety of purposes

• understand and apply a range of vocabulary and structures

• develop language learning and communication skills which can be applied broadly.

Resources:

  • GCSE Arabic Companion (follows Edexcel specifications)
  • GCSE Arabic Speaking Companion (follows Edexcel specifications)
  • Syllabus-specific & custom material.