In the sixth form the department offer a wide range of optional activities for all students as well as AS& A2 GCE Level in Physical Education and use the EDEXCEL examination board. These courses consist of 5 lessons per week.
Advanced Subsidiary in GCE and Advanced GCE
What do I need to know, or be able to do, before taking this course?
It is strongly recommended that you have studied Physical Education at GCSE level as some topics covered in the course are developments of work covered at GCSE level. What is important is that you should have a lively and enquiring mind, an interest in Physical Education and sport, a willingness to explore new ideas and an ability to communicate your ideas effectively.
How will I be assessed?
At A2 level pupils complete 4 units (at AS level only the first 2 units are studied) Unit 1 is externally assessed through a 1.5 hour examination paper. Unit 2 is internally assessed, through compiling a portfolio of evidence covering the four practical related tasks.
Unit 3 is assessed in a 2 hour written examination. Unit 4 students submit a personal CD portfolio detailing 4 assignments.
What will I learn?
- develop your knowledge and skills in a range of sports roles
- explore the contemporary issues in modern sport and recreation
- examine the effects of exercise and the relationships between training and performance
- identify the pathways and opportunities available to participate in sport and recreation at a local, national and international level
- enhance your understanding of how elite performers prepare for sports competition
- find ways to improve your own performance in selected roles through your greater understanding of the subject
|Unit 1||Unit 2|
|AS Level (Year 12)||Healthy and Active Lifestyles
Opportunities and Pathways
The Long Term Athlete
Analysis of performance
|Unit 3||Unit 4|
|A2 Level (Year 13)||Short Term Preparation
Long Term Preparation
Managing Elite Performance
A Practical Course?
Sports and physical activity excites and stimulates us all. It motivates, it promotes our health and makes us feel good. Above all it allows us to dream maybe of that perfect performance… but whether you are a spectator or performer it satisfies our quest for excitement! By undertaking the Edexcel GCE in Physical Education you will engage in a course that allows you to undertake a 50% coursework based GCE.
What can I do after I've completed the course?
Physical education combines with many AS and Advanced GCE subjects. It supports applications for a wide range of university courses like sports sciences, physiotherapy, recreation and leisure studies’ and there are many new and exciting courses related to sport throughout higher education.