At Key Stage 5 the Biology department follow the Cambridge International Examination syllabus.
Why study Biology?
- The developments in biological sciences is never ending. New technologies lead to new discoveries that have a direct impact on modern society. From making synthetic organs to finding a vaccine for cancer, there is something of interest to everyone.
- A level Biology is an essential requirement for any biology based degree, including medicine. Qatar intends to become a country that leads in healthcare and there is a range of opportunities available to students studying Biology here.
- Having an A level in Biology provides students with choices in many different career pathways, from healthcare to horticulture. A biology graduate is an independent learner with an enquiring mind, able to problem solve and assess the impact of biological advancements in modern society.
|Term 1||Term 2||Term 3|
|AS||A Cell Structure
B Biological Molecules
D Cell Membranes and Transport
E Cell and Nuclear Division
F Genetic Control
F Genetic Control
H Gas Exchange
I Infectious Disease
|Revision and examination practice|
|A2||L Energy and Respiration
N Regulation and Control
O Inherited Change (Gene technology now in section R)
|N Regulation and Control
P Selection and Evolution
Q Biodiversity and Conservation
R Gene Technology (includes some material originally in O)
T Crop Plants
|U Aspects of Human Reproduction
Revision and examination practice
At Key Stage 5 the chemistry department follow the International Edexcel examination syllabus, WCHO.
Why study A level Chemistry?
- Chemistry is the central science and impacts on all facets of our lives from plastics to drugs, from the synthesis of new high‐performance materials to essential quality analysis
- A level Chemistry is an essential requirement for many popular degrees e.g. medicine, engineering, dentistry
- A Chemistry-based degree gives you an excellent qualification for a wide career choice within science, industry or commerce. A Chemistry graduate is numerate, analytical, practical and has good problem solving, presentation and communication skills
|AS||Unit 1: The Core Principles of Chemistry|
|AS||Unit 2: Application of Core Principles of Chemistry|
|AS||Unit 3: Chemistry Laboratory Skills I|
|A2||Unit 4: General Principles of Chemistry I: Rates, Equilibria and Further Organic Chemistry|
|A2||Unit 5: General Principles of Chemistry II: Transition Metals and Organic Nitrogen Chemistry|
|A2||Unit 6: Chemistry Laboratory Skills II|
Why study physics?
- Physics is a fascinating subject for anyone who wants to understand how everything in the physical world – from the smallest technological device to the universe itself – works.
- Physics is essential for further study in a wide range of fields including all branches of engineering and technical design.
- Physics at AS/A2 level is a highly regarded qualification which can open many doors in the future. It can give students an advantage when applying for a huge range of degree courses and jobs, in every field from medicine to economics.
At Doha College the students study Edexcel physics, following the concept-led route through the course.
Year 12 (AS Level)
|Physics on the Go||Mechanics and materials|
|Physics at Work||Electricity, waves and the nature of light|
|Exploring Physics||Practical physics skills|
Year 13 (A2 Level)
|Physics on the Move||Further mechanics, electric and magnetic fields, particle physics|
|Physics from Creation to Collapse||Thermal energy, nuclear decay, oscillations, astrophysics and cosmology|
|Experimental Physics||Practical physics skills|